Having appropriate magnesium levels is so critical to our overall health. It is unfortunate to know that in today's world 75% of adults are magnesium deficient. Reading these eyebrow-raising stats, it’s no wonder that there is such a vast amount of magnesium supplements on the market. But what's the difference between oral magnesium and transdermal magnesium? And are there different grades of magnesium?
Both oral and transdermal magnesium increase your overall magnesium levels, but percentage of absorption and side-effects have been known to vary.
Pros of Taking Magnesium Orally
- Convenient. Just a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon in water.
- Availability – Easy to take whenever without having to rub parts of your body down.
- Substantial increase in magnesium levels.
Cons of Taking Magnesium Orally
- It may have a laxative effect.
- Its absorption may be missed due to passing through the system too quickly.
Pros of Using Magnesium Transdermally
- Absorption through the skin is faster and avoids the process of digestion.
- As it’s not passing through the digestive system, it's very unlikely to have any laxative effect with transdermal application.
- It's easier to adjust dosage with transdermal application.
Cons of Using Magnesium Transdermally
- There can be a tingle or itchy sensation.
- Transdermal magnesium may leave an oil or greasy film behind .
Which is better?
Well, oral and transdermal magnesium both offer great benefits, so it’s hard to say whether one is ultimately better than the other. What this really comes down to is a personal preference.
MISMO Magnesium is available in 3 forms, so there’s something for everyone!
It is worth considering how much magnesium you need, how often you need to take the it, which option you are more likely to stick with. But most of all, which one you feel is giving you the most benefit overall.
Be sure to speak with your healthcare professional before taking any supplement and follow specified directions. If you suffer from any side effects, discontinue use until you consult with your doctor.
the MISMO team 😊