There are a few reasons why you could be experiencing blemishes. Dirt, oil and hormones can all play a part but other factors like leftover sunscreen can also contribute to pimples. Australian weather can be brutal, so you want to make sure you're protecting your skin but also not suffering from blemishes as a result of using them.
A great tip straight up is to choose a moisturising sunscreen that includes zinc as the SPF instead of a chemical ingredient. Zinc provides a physical barrier and sits on the top of skin and doesn't clog as opposed to many chemical sunscreens that contain pimple causing ingredients such as mineral oils and silicone. They just don't let your skin breathe unlike natural sunscreens. Now even when using a zinc based sunscreen you still need to be vigilant about properly cleansing your face after being out in the sun. If you're not washing the sunscreen off correctly this can also lead to pimples and blackheads. Cleansing twice can help, with a focus on problematic areas like around the nostrils.
Active Face Cleanser is an AHA/BHA Cleanser that can offer a deep cleanse and has a dual purpose of also exfoliating which is a great solution. AHA stands for Alpha Hydroxy Acid (Glycolic Acid in this case) which loosens the glue which holds dead skin cells together on the skin. BHA stands for Beta Hydroxy Acid (Salicylic Acid) which dissolves dead skin cells in clogged pores. Together they are a formidable team which really are a cleanser/exfoliator when used in a cleanser or face wash. If using an AHA Cleanser/BHA then the golden tip is to leave on for 30 seconds to let the AHA's (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) do their job by loosening the glue that holds the dead skin cells together that lead to pimples.
An optimum cleansing routine should look like this:
- Always wash your hands before starting to remove any leftover grime and dirt.
- Wet your face with lukewarm water. Always use lukewarm water never hot or cold.
- Massage the Active Face Cleanser into your face using a circular motion. Spend time on all areas of your face including your hairline, jawline and nostrils too. As suggested above leave Active Face Cleanser on your skin for 30 seconds.
- Remove the cleanser with lukewarm water with your hands or better still a microfibre face cleanser. Microfibre Face Cleansers are great for preserving the acid mantle of the skin and if skin is prone to acne, these are perfect as the cloth removes surface bacteria and stimulates blood circulation and regeneration of new cells. Tip A great one for pre-teens getting them into the habit of using these. Even if they forget to use a cleanser just by using a damp Microfibre Cleanser on their face is very effective.
- Moisturise (a serum before moisturiser is optional).
Being aware of removing the daily grime off your face and making sure you follow a good cleansing routine can reduce the incidents of any unwanted breakouts and keep your skin healthy and blemish free.